When you are interviewing for a competitive job opening, you need to know how to make yourself stand out during the interview process. There are a few simple things that you can do to help the interviewers remember your name.
1. Be prepared and let it show. The interviewer will be able to tell that you are confident and comfortable. Arrive a few minutes early so that you do not feel rushed during the interview, and when you sit down to talk your confident answers will show that you are a good fit for the job.
2. Be pleasant and friendly with the interviewer. It is easy to clam up or be un-social during an interview session, but do not let the stress get to you. It is better for them to be your friends, so smile and be warm and welcoming from the first moment that you meet.
3. Review the job description so that you are familiar with what they are looking for. When you know exactly what the interviewer wants, it is easier to align your answers with the needed skills. Read through the job description several times, and you can even ask questions for clarification if needed. Match your answers to these job skills as best you can, through your answers you can consistently help the interviewer to see that you are a good fit for the job.
4. Allow the interviewer to have control of the conversation. If you try to steer the conversation into a different direction you might inadvertently offend the person that is interviewing you. Allow them to have control of the conversation and follow their cues. Make sure to stay on topic and do not ramble.
5. Some of the most common questions include "Tell me about yourself" or "Tell us a little bit about you." Have a brief plan in mind to answer this question. Make it lively, do not give them a dry list of your skills– instead help them to remember you as a person by weaving in personal fact with your job skills.